Thoughts of a Country Preacher

The Monday morning ruminations of a pastor.

Monday, January 07, 2008

A Humble Endorsement

It has been announced that Dr. R. Albert Mohler will be nominated for the position of President of the Southern Baptist Convention in 2008. Myself, I cannot express how excited I am about this announcement. I believe that Dr. Mohler is the right man for this job at the right time, and will be able to lead our convention to new heights through grace and determination.

Let me share for a few moments why I would endorse, and plan to vote for Dr. Mohler.

Dr. Mohler walked into Southern facing some of the worst opposition any seminary president has ever faced, yet went because of a clear calling from God - a calling confirmed by the amazing success the school now enjoys.

I had the privlege of being in his Sunday School class for 3 years while I was in seminary, and that gave me the chance to watch him when he probably didn't think that he was being watched. And his example alone has had a profound impact on how I carry myself in ministry, and how I relate to those I minister to.

After his class dismisses, he is immediately mobbed by people with questions - and every single one of those questions gets an answer. In church Dr. Mohler can't take two steps without someone stopping him, wanting him to explain a large, complicated point of Christian doctrine to them. But no matter who they are, and no matter what they ask, he is always very careful to give them a complete answer in a way that they understand.

I've seen him stoop to clean up messes, walk people to their cars, pick up dropped purses, and rearrange his schedule to attend a class party - there is no task too small or insignificant for him to do.

Every couple of nights, Dr. Mohler will take his dog for a walk through the campus housing areas for the sole purpose of meeting and getting to know his students.

Dr. Mohler purposely seeks out students to invest in and mentor - the next generation of Southern Baptists is his number one priority.

Dr. Mohler has a love for both Southern Seminary, and the SBC at large that defies description. His greatest desire is to see the kingdom of Christ advanced through the SBC.

That is why I plan on going to Indy for the sole purpose of voting for Dr. Mohler, and why I pray that many more do as well. There is simply no better man for the job.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bro. Heath said...

John,
I get flashbacks of Dr. Adrian Rogers, another important president in the life of our convention. Thanks for sharing your insights, and without them, his willingness to stand on God's Word was enough for me.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter